You’ve probably heard the good news. With each generation, we’re living longer. But just how much longer—and why? Well, life expectancy has jumped from just 45 years of age in 1900 to 80 in 2007. And many predict babies born today will likely live to 100 or older.
So, you may be wondering: what is the cause for our good longevity news? Advances in medicine certainly have contributed to longer lives. But today, even physicians acknowledge that healing/curing is perhaps only 60% medical. You’ll probably be surprised to learn the arts may account for at least a portion of that remaining 40%.
The National Endowment for the Arts asserts that participation in arts activities offers major lifestyle and health benefits, including:
- Increased social engagement
- Improved overall health
- Improved cognitive functioning
- Improved quality of life
- Increased longevity
Perhaps it’s time to take up a new creative pastime that just may continue to add years to your life, such as making art, exploring photography, singing, writing or dancing.
Today’s senior living communities make it easy to explore the arts—with on-site amenities such as arts and crafts rooms and scheduled events that often includes arts opportunities for you or your aging loved one.
NorthPointe Woods Is the Art-Smart Choice. With an active arts culture and so many creative residents to inspire you, plus an all-new art room with top-notch instruction, you’ll be picking up a paintbrush or a camera in no time! (And you just might celebrate more birthdays.)